Monday, January 10, 2011

Back in the Olden Days we wrote with a pen

Being the good mother that I try to be, I just spent the past hour or so getting my teenage sons to write thank you notes. I got out the cards, return labels and stamps. I even hunted two working pens and set up a spot for each of them at the table. I called them and my "don't mess with mamma tone" got them to actually come and sit down. They looked at me like I was insane. "I could just text them Mommmm!", "What about calling??", or how about the age old "I am sure they know I love it".

After another episode of me giving them "the LOOK" they got started. First they both had issues with basic spelling. Claiming that they "could spell" but were having brain farts. When I called them on that they then went on about how they could just use spell check on the computer. They have been made to do this before so they have the basic concept down. Write the persons name, thank them for whatever the gift was and sign their name. I also (because I am basically totally evil) make them not just thank the person for money but to tell them what the money was spent on or what they intend to purchase with it.

When the actual writing on the card part was done they put them in the envelopes and sealed them. Without labeling the envelope. You may guess the next fiasco. Ok, which one goes to which person. Hmmmmm, don't know! Ok, I hear from the other room "just make your best guess and be done with it". So the card may or may not match who it is now being sent to.

The last part is where do you put the stamp, return address label and how do you write the persons address? One had it down, the other was lost and stuck things in the wrong places. Necessitating ripping off of things and resticking. I hope they stay put!! They also had to look up addresses in a rolodex in alphabetical order. The horror! So now they are done, hopefully going to the right people and the stamps don't fall off.

Next time maybe teach them how to file alphabetically (I told you I was pure evil hehehe). I have been told that no one writes anymore. That computers are the norm. I asked what would happen if all the computers in the world died due to an electrical pulse. The youngest just said and I quote: "I would just build a new one!". Thing is he could. I am beginning to feel really old!

2 comments:

Kimmber said...

I was watching a news program where they were talking of schools dropping teaching cursive writing. They say instead the emphasis will be on keyboarding.. as no one writes anymore. From a person who has horrific handwriting, I'm all for it!

Dawn said...

I think this is really cool! http://www.wimp.com/byhand/
My handwriting isn't very pretty either but even I could probably do it up best I could to make a template.