Thursday, October 30, 2008

I think I need to apologize!

I was in bed last night and started to think about my new physical therapist. I have gone now two times and I really think I haven't been totally nice to her and her assistant. I haven't been rude or anything but maybe a bit defensive. I am a nice person, she is helping me, why have I acted like that? I just going on and on about what I have done, how I do the exercises. She wasn't questioning me, she didn't assume I hadn't done them. So why was I so defensive??

Relaxing in my bed I think I figured it out. In the military medical system you rarely see the same person twice. If you do they never ever remember you. Well, no one has ever remembered me ever in 22 years. No one has ever just believed me when I spoke. Women are assumed hormonal and needing attention. If you have a problem they give you Motrin and are told to come back if it doesn't get better. Probably most people don't come back. Is it because they are indeed better from the massive amounts of Motrin or do they live with the problem because no one listens?

So if you seek medical help and you see someone you have never seen before, you are made to feel like you are hormonal, complaining for little reason and maybe just a little crazy, you get defensive. I have two knees and a shoulder in pain. One knee is getting treatment, (the one that has a big visible cyst that couldn't be ignored), the other that hurts with no outward sign is ignored, the shoulder with bursitis pain is pushed off "let me know if it still hurts when you come back" (that started 4 yrs ago!).

So to my new physical therapist, Thank you! You believe me, you remembered me when I came for my second visit. You told me you were glad to see me next week. I am grateful you believe me when I tell you I have done the exercises and don't assume I am lying or hormonal or crazy.

No comments: