Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Being Thankful

Thanksgiving:
It is a time in our country when we are to sit back and give thanks. Give thanks for what we have, thanks for things that we don’t. I have recently had lots of things to be ungrateful for. Things I didn’t want/need/desire. I don’t like sitting in my Northern Virginia home planning my day of thanks without my husband. One of the days that you spend together as a family we are apart. That isn’t what I would choose. I am used to cooking for a dozen people. Inviting people over who have no other place to go. My mother always did that to. I grew up with the holidays filled with some stray coming to our home to celebrate with us. This year I am cooking for my three children and myself. I am grateful for that but yet it feels small in comparison some how.

I suggested to the children that we go out to dinner to one of those fancy buffet dinners. All the tasty goodness, with none of the cooking work. They didn’t like that idea at all. They looked at me with shocked and hurt eyes. Like they were not worthy of me cooking the giant meal. They are worthy but dang it is a lot of work!! I also need knee surgery so standing that long to cook would be painful. I looked down to my feet and thought a minute. I decided that I would cook the thanksgiving meal if they would help. So on Thursday, my teenage children and I will be cooking our meal together as a family team.

What am I thankful for? I am thankful for being an American citizen. I have met and befriended many people over the years who are not from my country. They come in hopes of fulfilling a dream. To study, to get a job in the field that they desire where in their home country it would be impossible. Some have stayed here in the USA are working, studying, following a dream. Many people have an American dream. No matter what the current idea is, USA is till a place where dreams can come true.

I am thankful for my family. I have three beautiful, smart children who are kind people. They care about others and will be a positive influence on society.

I am thankful for my husband. He is strong, determined and patriotic. He could have retired from the Army, he has over 22 years in already. He however saw that his country needed him and his skills to train the Afghan Army and he went. He had spinal surgery just weeks before he left home. Getting fit enough to go took grit and determination that few possess.

I am thankful for my friends and extended family. I am not very good at asking for help when I really do need it, but there are a special few who ignore my pleading of “I will be fine, don’t worry” and push me into accepting help. I hate to be needy, I hate to be weak. I am learning to feel stronger when I ask for help because strength doesn’t come from doing it alone but from having people who love you to help you with the load when it is heavy.

So although my life as of recently wouldn’t be one that most anyone would look at and think thanks are in order, I am thankful. I have what I need most, peace in my home, my family members safe for today, food, friends and a future full of more possibilities. Just because today isn’t all that I would dream of there are many more tomorrows to work on. So think of me and the three kids making pumpkin pie together, heaving the turkey into the oven and sitting down at the table giving thanks for all we have. Have a very Blessed Thanksgiving.

No comments: